For your healthy dogs or cats, taking good care along with protecting them from external parasites is very much essential. Fleas and ticks are the most common parasites that usually attack your pets and you will look up on to protect them. To control these nasty pests, pet parents use flea and tick control products on their furry pals.
But, do you know that while using these products what care you need to take care of. The little ignorance or lack of safety measures can put your pet into dangerous situation. Though flea and tick treatments kill and prevent fleas and ticks, and are safe on pets, the ingredients used can be harmful to your pets if not handled with care. Therefore, it is crucial to know how to use this product safely.
Uncover the tips that would definitely help you treat your pet safely when next time you are treating your furry pal with flea and tick control product.
Tips for using flea and tick preventive products
- Talk to your vet about the administration of flea and tick treatment, if you find it difficult to administer it on your pet.
- If you have multiple pets, then do not allow pets to groom until the application area is dry.
- If the label says use monthly, do not use weekly or daily. If the product is for house or yard, then never use it directly on your pet.
- If you pet shows any signs of sensitivity to flea and tick products, talk to your vet before going for the second treatment.
- Monitor for any side effects that you pet may show after the application of flea and tick preventive, particularly when using the product for the first time on your pet.
- If your pet shows any adverse reaction, then immediately bathe him with soap or shampoo and rinse with large amounts of water. For more complications, just dial a vet.
- Unless the label in the pack allows the treatment on puppies or kittens, do not apply the product.
- Store flea and tick control product away from food, and children and pet’s reach.
- Call your vet if you find him ill or shows the symptoms of poisoning such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression or excessive salvation.
- Check for the adverse reactions.
- After applying flea and tick product, keep a watch on your pet for several hours for any reaction or adverse effect due to the product. It’s important to monitor your furry pal particularly if you are treating him for the first time.
- Keep the packaging of the product at easy accessible place but away from children and pets, in case you need to share the information about ingredients that are used in the product if some emergency comes.
- Also, keep your vet’s number or poison center number handy, for any complication seen in your pet.
Look for the following signs of sensitivity to pesticides
- Seizures (trembling)
- Vomiting or diarrhea, or both
- Drooling excessively
- Excessive foaming or salvation
- Stumbling or incoordination
- Lack of appetite
- Severe depression or anxiety
- If you find any unusual behavior shortly after the application of the product, consult your vet immediately.
Tips for Application
- After properly reading all the instructions on the pack, ensure that you only apply the amount that is required for your pet according to his weight.
- Do not overdose your pet with excess flea and tick control product than indicated on the pack.
- Never use combination of two or three flea and tick products on your pet. At once, use only one product.
- Flea and tick topical treatment should be applied once in a month as directed on the pack. Do not try to reapply the product before 30 days.
- For flea and tick oral chews, directly give them into your pet’s mouth or crush and mix it in food.
- Do not give more than one dose even if fleas and ticks are seen on pet’s body. These are actually the dead pests seen on the surface of the fur as they die.
- Do not ingest topical flea and tick product to pets as they claim to be dangerous.
- While applying flea and tick topical solution always take care that you do not touch the solution to your pet’s fur.
- While applying, keep the product away from eye and mouth.
- To ensure safety, wear rubber gloves while applying the solution or wash hands with soap and water after treatment.
- For the disposal of the empty containers after use, follow the instructions written on the label.
Tips to Prevent Problems
- Always ensure of buying the right flea and tick control product according to your pet’s weight.
- Never use dog treatment on cat and vice versa.
- Read and follow all the instructions available on the pack or the leaflet included.
- Don’t split on the large dogs dose in half for two small dogs or combine two small dogs dose for a large dog.
- Do not use these products on sick, debilitated, elderly, pregnant or lactating animals without the prior consent of your vet.
Hope these safety tips of applying flea and tick preventive products will help you greatly when you are treating your pooch or kitty for the same. What safety measures do you take while applying this product, do share with us.