Every pet owner has their own views about the best flea preventive treatment, because why not, everyone is entitled to have their individual opinions. But when pet owners start to raise questions and doubts about the effectiveness of a product, then it becomes a problem. In this write-up, we have tried to raise the question “Is one of the leading flea & tick preventive, Frontline Plus lost its effectiveness?” If yes; then how and why? Moreover, we will also compare Frontline Plus with other products like Frontline Top Spot and K9 Advantix.
Introduction To Frontline Plus
Frontline Plus has been one of the best-selling fleas and ticks preventive treatments for a very long time. It was going strong as far as sales were concerned, but now in recent times, it has been observed that a lot of pet owners have queries about the ineffectiveness of this flea and tick preventive. It can be seen on various discussion forums and other mediums on the internet.
So is Frontline Plus still effective against fleas and ticks? You will get an answer to this question later on in this write-up. Let us begin with the real reason for using Frontline Plus at the very first place – to kill adult fleas and ticks along with their complete life cycle.
Overview Of Fleas & Ticks
Fleas are small and wingless jumping insects that feed on the blood of mammals. They enjoy warm, humid environments, and transmit diseases through bites like plague and myxomatosis. The entire flea life cycle takes 18 days to 20 months to complete from egg to adult and interestingly, only 10% of this time is actually spent by fleas on the pet. The length of these parasites is 1/32 inches and so you can only see flea dirt, which is a dark, gritty particle or speck that can be seen on the pet. It is a lethal combination of dried blood and flea feces. These parasites can be seen on the base of the pet’s tails, on the belly, behind the ears, and between the toes. Pets can acquire cat scratch disease, flea allergy dermatitis, and plague from flea bites.
Ticks are blood sucking parasites that attach themselves to pets so that they can feed on them. They can be commonly found in wooded areas, bushes, shrubs, and wild undergrowth. Ticks cause lots of health problems like Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and tick paralysis. An adult tick can lay approximately 1,000 to 3,000 eggs at a time. In two to seven weeks’ time, these eggs hatch into larvae and then the larvae search for a proper host to feed upon.
Ticks are most active during early spring to mid-summer. They usually attach to the pet’s body and use their scissor-like mouthparts to make a slit in the skin while attaching to the host. Then they insert a spiny tongue into the incision and start feeding on the blood of the host. There are certain ticks that even secrete a substance that acts as a cement to help them remain attached to the host.
Since you are now aware about fleas and ticks and the various diseases caused by them, it is important to procure a product that can assist you in preventing these pesky parasites from harming your pets. One such product that has worked well till recent times is Frontline Plus. Let us understand the functionality of this ingenious product in detail.
Introduction To Frontline Plus & Its Reliability Since Years
Frontline Plus is a flea and ticks preventative treatment that can be administered to dogs and cats aged 8 weeks of age and above. It not only kills adult fleas and ticks, thereby preventing life-threatening flea and tick-borne diseases but also eliminates the entire life cycle of fleas(hence, prevents re-infestation). It contains two active ingredients – Fipronil and (S)-Methoprene. Fipronil is useful in killing adult fleas and ticks while (S)-Methoprene contains an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) that assists in abolishing the entire life cycle of fleas. Once this product is administered on pets, all fleas get killed within a day’s time and ticks within 2 days. This monthly treatment provides a long-lasting and effective solution for protecting your pets from flea infestations.
Some of the factors that make it the most reliable flea and tick preventative treatment for several years are:
- One of the oldest flea and tick treatments
- Kills adult fleas, flea eggs, adult larvae, ticks, sarcoptic mange, lice and Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)
- Very simple to administer on pets
- A monthly flea and tick preventive product
- No apparent side effects on pets (Care should be taken to dose the pet properly)
But recently, we have been receiving feedback from our customers about the ineffectiveness of this product on their pets. Let us divert our attention to some of the complaints from our customers and the issues they faced after administering this treatment on their pets.
Current Issues & Complaints Of Frontline Plus By Pet Owners (2020)
- It has been several months since my 3-month-old puppy had a tick enclosed in his leg. I administered Frontline Plus for dogs on him and he became lethargic, slept the whole time and gave up eating. Initially, I thought that he had gotten sick due to the tick bite, but with time I realized that it was an aftereffect of the treatment. He has recovered quickly, but I still see lots of fleas and ticks on his body and it is now time to lose him again. Should I continue with Frontline Plus? Will the reactions worsen after each new dose? Or is it a sign that my furry pal is recovering?
- I have been getting Sentinel Spectrum for my 2 Border Collies. But recently I saw a special offer on Frontline Plus and bought this product. I had the worst experience to date as my hair gel is more productive than this treatment!! Not only do my doggies still have fleas, but their frequency has increased. I have sprayed my yard twice, but still no effect. The problem started when I switched to Frontline. I threw away the remaining 2 pipettes of the treatment in the garbage and purchased Sentinel Spectrum. Now my furry pals are free from these pesky parasites.
- I have had a very positive experience with Frontline Plus but in September last year due to an early infestation of fleas my moodle, Johnny was so agitated due to these pesky parasites. I gave him a flea wash within 2 weeks after administering the treatment which gave him some relief, but to my astonishment, the fleas were back within a week. This product is a total waste of $$ the fleas are back. I have now shifted to Comfortis and my furry pal is free from fleas.
So why Frontline Plus does not work well? Let us try and find out some of the reasons for the ineffectiveness of this product.
Why Frontline Plus Is Not Working Recently?
- If you reside in an area that is heavily infested with fleas and ticks, it is very difficult to wipe off the entire population of these pesky parasites. The problem is that the new pests in the environment can easily take the position of the already killed pests. Hence, you still see these parasites on your pet’s body. Remember, the level of infestation and area plays a significant role in successful flea and tick control.
- Fleas in certain areas of the USA have developed immunity to Frontline Plus. Pets residing in these areas may not respond positively to the treatment hence, it fails to eradicate the flea and tick problem.
- Remember, any flea and tick preventative treatment is effective in killing 95 to 98% of parasites, but the new fleas still remain untapped. Hence, it is recommended to combine Frontline Plus with a short term flea treatment like Capstar for killing all fleas.
- Frontline Plus gets water-resistant after 2 days of administration. So, if you bathe your pet or take him in the water before that, it can hamper the effectiveness of the treatment. Too much of washing can also result in reduced effectiveness of the treatment.
Frontline Plus vs Frontline vs K9 Advantix
Despite all the slack, Frontline Plus is still a proper and highly effective flea and tick solution. Moreover, to prove its effectiveness, we have compared it with two similar products. Here, take a look.
From the above table, you can vividly see how Frontline Plus pips other products like Frontline and K9 Advantix. It is still one of the best flea and tick treatments going around.
How You Can Boost The Effectiveness Of Frontline Plus On Pets?
Use Frontline Plus in conjunction with natural flea and tick control methods for faster and safer results. Follow some of the tips given below to boost the effectiveness of this flea & tick preventative treatment:
- Bathe your pet on a regular basis with a safe flea shampoo.
- Never bathe your pet for 2 days after administering the flea and tick preventative treatment on him.
- Utilize Frontline Spray as they are toxic for fleas but safe for pets.
- Utilize predatory nematodes in your garden to get rid of fleas in the most natural ways.
- Apply diatomaceous earth or salt on your carpet.
- Spray your yard with flea foggers or flea bomb.
- Treat your house with flea control products available in the market.
In the end, it is safe to say that Frontline Plus is still one of the best and most affordable fleas and ticks preventative treatments available in the market. It provides enhanced protection from pesky parasites and keeps your pet safe. Moreover, if you face any issues with this product, make sure to visit a vet so that he can find a suitable solution to your problem.
In the end, it is safe to say that Frontline Plus is still one of the best fleas and tick preventative treatments available in the market; and with the handy addition of Frontline Gold now your pets can enjoy enhanced protection from these pesky parasites. So, don’t lose faith and continue administering the treatment on your pet. If you face any problems, do let us know by posting your question and we ensure that all your concerns and doubts are resolved with utmost satisfaction.